DON'T TAKE THE BAIT!
Nelson Hydro / BC Hydro Scam concerning disconnect notification for non-payment.
Nelson Hydro is concerned as another scam has resurfaced among electrical utilities, including BC Hydro, which may soon be target Nelson Hydro customers.
According to BC Hydro, a fraudster sends out an automated call from a 604 area code number threatening service disconnection due to an overdue bill. The customer is asked to call a 1-877 number, which connects to a spoofed BC Hydro number (which looks legitimate). Someone posing as a BC Hydro employee then asks the victim to purchase pre-paid credit cards or deposit money into a bitcoin ATM wallet or other means.
Nelson Hydro customers should be aware of the following:
• Nelson Hydro will not call a customer and tell them they are two blocks away and are coming to disconnect your service.
• All disconnections for non-payment have been suspended for the winter.
• Nelson Hydro does not request customers to submit banking or credit card information via email or text message.
• Nelson Hydro does not accept payment via pre-paid cash cards or prepaid credit cards, or bitcoin ATM.
• Nelson Hydro does not offer refunds or credits through Interac e-transfer.
Customers are asked to call 1-877-32HYDRO (1-877-3249376) or 250-352-8206 if they have questions about the authenticity of an email, text, or phone call.
Our customers are encouraged to report suspected fraud to the Nelson City Police. They can be reached at (250) 354-3919.