PREPARATIONS IN THE EVENT OF A SEVERE STORM
July 5, 2019
The City of Nelson would like to advise residents of the preparations the City routinely undertakes when there is a severe storm warning. We are also providing information on what the public can do in the event of an emergency and/or power outage.
In the event of a life-threatening emergency, please always call 911.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
All residents are asked to create an Emergency kit and educate themselves on emergency preparedness. Please visit our website to learn more about what you can do to prepare for a disaster and how to build a 72 Hour Grab & Go emergency kit.
- Sign-up to Nelson Emergency Alert to receive emergency notifications.
- Be prepared for heavy rains and hail with potential overland flooding (keep lower windows and doors tightly closed).
- Secure anything outdoors (trash cans, plywood) that might be blown away and could pose a hazard during high winds.
- Do not drive or walk through deep pools or water that is fast flowing.
- Never approach downed power lines.
- Be aware of the potential for trees and limbs to suddenly fall.
- Seek shelter and remain inside if lightning occurs.
- Stay away from windows.
- Power outages may occur – use approved surge protectors and do not use BBQ’s, camp stoves or other heating/cooking devices designed for outdoor use inside your home.
- Only experienced persons should operate chains saws to remove fallen trees and branches following a storm.
- In the event of a severe storm, avoid travel throughout the City unless absolutely necessary.
- Have a portable radio to stay informed.
- Call 911 if you have an emergency.
- Have an emergency Grab & Go Bag ready as well as copies of all your important documents (passports, insurance, birth certificates, wills, etc.)
- If the power goes out, please call 1-877-324-9376 for updates.
- Please do not call the Fire Hall or Police regarding power outages unless there is an imminent risk to you and your family.
- To report a fallen tree or downed power line, please call the outage line at 1-877-324-9376 to report the hazard.
- For all residents, in the event of downed electrical lines, we ask that you stay clear of all fallen power lines as they may be energized or become re-energized.
WHAT IS THE CITY DOING?
- Public Works is ensuring that our over 1900 stormwater catch basins and approximately 60 culverts are clear of debris; that staff, equipment, and materials are ready to respond to close roads as needed and manage downed vegetation and other hazards; and that our water and wastewater infrastructure system, including emergency backup power, is ready and available should the need arise.
- Nelson Fire & Rescue Services is prepared to respond to emergencies and has additional rescue staff available if needed.
- Nelson Emergency Management is monitoring the weather and a City Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) will be activated if required to coordinate emergency response and provide city-wide assistance.
- The members of the Nelson Police Department are prepared to provide services in all types of weather. Please exercise caution and good sense when faced with an emergency situation. Be aware that 911 lines can be quickly overwhelmed in emergency situations, but will be answered. Police will respond to call for service based on priority. Please be patient.