Power outages happen in Nelson from time to time – Fallen trees, high winds, freezing rain, even automobile accidents may damage power lines and cause power outages that may last from several hours to a few days. An extended loss of power during the winter months can result in cold, damp homes and challenging living conditions.
Home Preparedness Checklist for Power Outages
Have a battery-operated radio.
This allows you to listen to your local station for warnings, advice and instructions.
Stow flashlights with extra batteries.
Inspect your chimney or flue.
This helps prevent structural fires and ensures smoke, carbon monoxide and other potentially harmful gases are properly vented.
Keep sufficient wood for burning if you rely on wood heat.
Make sure you have an adequate supply of food and water
NelsonHydro suggests that if the power is out for less than four hours, the food in your fridge and freezer will be safe to consume. Whenever possible keep the door closed to maintain the internal temperatures.
Fireplaces, woodstoves, barbecues and camp stoves can be used for emergency cooking. DO NOT use barbecues or camp stoves indoors due to the high risk of carbon monoxide build-up.
Stay connected and be informed during an outage by signing up for the City’s NotifyMe System – delivering non-emergency alerts about outages, road closures and more. For 24 hr updated outage information call: 1-877-32HYDRO (1-877-324-9376)