The Nelson Police Department is currently not accepting applications at this time.
Please ensure, and be able to submit proof, that you meet the following minimum requirements to apply to become an Officer with the Nelson Police Department prior to application.
- 19+ years of age
- No criminal record
- Valid Basic First Aid Certificate and CPR
- Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Resident
- High school graduation or equivalent
- Minimum of one year post-secondary education preferred
- Valid British Columbia driver’s licence
- Physically fit, able to pass the POPAT (Police Officer’s Physical Abilities Test)
- Meet hearing requirement: Must have no greater loss than 30 db in both ears in the 500-3000 Hz range
- Meet vision requirement:
- Must have unaided vision of not less than 20/40 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye;
- Vision should be correctable with approved vision aide to a minimum 20/20 both eyes open with no one eye poorer than 20/30;
- Colour vision must pass the Ishihara test or the Farnsworth D-15 test;
Note: Applicants having corrective laser surgery must wait one month post surgery before applying.
New recruits are responsible for their own tuition fees for training at the Justice Institute of British Columbia in New Westminster. The current recruit training fee is approximately $10,700 plus books and materials. Recruits may be eligible for a departmental loan to cover the cost of the training, which is subsequently collected by payroll deduction over a two year period.
While attending training at the JIBC, recruits receive Probationary Constable salary.