Bylaw Complaints

Complaints Policy Number

Complaints with respect to bylaw enforcement are handled in accordance with Council’s Bylaw Enforcement Complaints Policy Number 4000.00.010.

Bylaw Enforcement Complaint Form

To assist you with the complaint process, please use the City's Bylaw Enforcement Complaint Form (PDF) when submitting a complaint related to the City's bylaws (such as noise, building or traffic violations). Please note that the City does not accept anonymous complaints. If you prefer, you are welcome to make your complaint in person at the Bylaw Enforcement Department.

Bylaw Enforcement Complaint forms can also be collected at the Bylaw Enforcement Department front counter or at City Hall main reception.

Bylaw Enforcement Complaint forms can be delivered, emailed or faxed to:

City of Nelson - Bylaw Enforcement Department
606 Stanley Street
Nelson BC V1L 1N4
Fax: 250-354-4179
Email Bylaw Enforcement

Noise Complaint

If you are reporting a noise complaint relating to gunshots or people fighting call 911.

Noise complaints which occur after normal business hours may be reported directly to the Nelson Police Department. For all other noise complaints please contact the City's Bylaw Enforcement Department noting the time(s), date(s) and duration(s) and type of noise that is occurring.

After-Hours Complaints

After-hours (evenings, overnight, and Sundays), members of the public can report parking and bylaw infraction complaints by email or by using the designated online form (click here). The Bylaw Enforcement Department has absolute discretion as to whether sufficient and valid evidence has been submitted to issue a parking ticket. In most cases, sufficient evidence for a parking violation includes:

  • Multiple time and date-stamped photos and written description clearly showing the vehicle, the licence plate, the location, and what violation is being reported (e.g. blocking driveway)
  • Your name and phone number in case there is a need for a follow-up phone call.

Once the above has been received, a Bylaw Enforcement Officer will review and determine whether there are sufficient grounds to issue a ticket. Please note that there is no obligation for the City to issue a ticket if a Bylaw Enforcement Officer was not physically present at the time of violation, nor is the Officer required to acknowledge receipt or provide updates on the status of the complaint. If the ticket is disputed, the complainant may be required to appear at court or adjudication and must be willing to do so.