Downtown Electrical Upgrades
August 13, 2010
- The downtown electrical upgrades are part of the long term capital plan to upgrade the Nelson Hydro Transmission and Distribution System.
- This project consists of upgrading the electrical distribution system in the City of Nelson downtown core.
- The existing lane structure has overhead primary, secondary and communications lines as well as overhead transformers.
- The new system will have overhead secondary and a reduced amount of communication lines. The primary lines will be underground and the transformers will be located at strategic locations on ground level islands.
- New structures will be a single pole line with wires arranged vertically, whereas horizontal and vertical wire configurations.
- North and South Lanes of Baker Street
- 100,200,300,500 & 600 Blocks of Hume Lane
- August 2010 Install New Poles in Lanes (2-3 weeks)
- September 2010 Commence Civil Work (underground ducts and vaults)
- Spring 2011 Electrical Installation (underground and overhead lines)
- Summer 2011 Move Customers over to the new system
- Fall 2011 Telus and Shaw transfer to new poles
- 2011/2012 Remove old infrastructure (two pole structures and wires)
- The new design will have fewer conductors running down the lanes. This will allow:
- Single pole structures instead of two pole structures - provides more free space at ground level and easier access to parking areas.
- Fewer wires and no transformers in the air will have a tidier appearance.
- Improved electrical service reliability in the downtown area.
- Improved lane way lighting.
- The upgraded distribution voltage provides better ability to serve ne/changing loads downtown.
For more information contact (250) 352-8240Go to Top