Downtown Electrical Upgrades - Update
May 18, 2011
- Civil works associated with the Baker St. Lanes Conversion Project is progressing very well with the addition of a 2nd Crew by CGL Contracting Ltd. The 2nd Crew assists in making up for lost time due to inclement weather causing delays in the project start up. Currently 55% of this Civil Construction Phase has been completed.
- We understand the disruptions construction such as this brings to our normal and/or daily routines within our community so please except our thanks and appreciation for any and all cooperation and respect you as member of the community extend toward the work crews and their equipment in order to ensure no one in the community or worker on the job site is injured. CGL Contracting Ltd. crews are very professional and are to be commended both for the excellent job they are doing as well as the respect they show for the businesses and residents in the City of Nelson.
- The Tender for the Asphalt Patching has been awarded to Selkirk Paving Limited for all current and future excavated areas associated with the project. They are scheduled to begin early morning on Thursday, May 19th with the focus being on the Baker Street excavated road crossings and the more severely sloped roadway sections.
- Tenders have been posted for the installation of the underground system network cables/conductors, padmount transformers and associated terminations with a closing date of May 26th.
- Project related material supply orders continue to be placed and deliveries are currently being received in coordination with project schedules.
Current Construction Schedules:
- End of June to Early July - Completion of Civil Works entailing the excavation and installation of the underground infrastructure as required for Nelson Hydro, City of Nelson Fiber System, Telus and Shaw Cable. This infrastructure includes ducts, service boxes, vaults and transformer pads.
- Mid to late June - Prior to completion of the Civil Works noted above, contracted crews (to be selected) will commence installation of all the underground system network cables/conductors, padmount transformers and associated terminations.
- Mid to late July - Works to commence on the installation or stringing of the aerial Secondary Distribution System conductors on all of the newly installed poles in both lanes.
- Late Summer to Early Fall - Customer transfers to the new distribution system along with removal of some of the old overhead infrastructure such as conductors and platform or pole mounted transformers as the customer transfers permit.
- Fall 2011 Telus and Shaw Cable commence transfer of plant and customers to respective new systems.
- 2011/2012 Removal of all old pole structures and wires remaining.
For more information please call Nelson Hydro Administration at (250) 352-8240.Go to Top