Downtown Electrical Upgrades - Update
June 10, 2011
The Nelson Hydro Downtown Electrical Upgrade Project will commence work at the following locations starting Monday June 13th through June 16th, 2011:
- Vernon Street & Kootenay Street
- Vernon Street & Stanley Street
Flagger attendance will be provided in order to maintain single lane traffic in both directions during all intended works.
Two (2) Excavation/Placement Crews will be working in tandem at both crossing locations.
The public are asked to slow down in the construction zones and obey flaggers. If at all possible please take an alternate route to avoid the construction zone.
Nelson Hydro thanks the public for their cooperation during this construction period.
Current Construction Schedules
- End of June to Early July - Completion of Civil Works entailing the excavation and installation of the underground infrastructure as required for Nelson Hydro, City of Nelson Fiber System, Telus and Shaw Cable. This infrastructure includes ducts, service boxes, vaults and transformer pads.
- Mid to late June - Prior to completion of the Civil Works noted above, contracted crews (to be selected) will commence installation of all the underground system network cables/conductors, padmount transformers and associated terminations.
- Mid to late July - Works to commence on the installation or stringing of the aerial Secondary Distribution System conductors on all of the newly installed poles in both lanes.
- Late Summer to Early Fall - Customer transfers to the new distribution system along with removal of some of the old overhead infrastructure such as conductors and platform or pole mounted transformers as the customer transfers permit.
- Fall 2011 - Telus and Shaw Cable commence transfer of plant and customers to respective new systems.
- 2011/2012 - Removal of all old pole structures and wires remaining.
For more information please call Nelson Hydro Administration at (250) 352-8240. Go to Top