- The E-Bike program provides low-interest financing for Nelson homeowners who would like to purchase a commuter bike including electric bikes, do-it-yourself conversion kits, non-electric bikes and accessories that are related to safety and commuting (does not include clothing).
- The loan is applied monthly on the home owner’s Nelson Hydro electric bill and repaid over the term of the loan.
- The maximum loan amount is $8,000 per household, which can support the purchase of more than one bike. Participants can choose an amortization period of two or five years, with an interest rate of 3.5% (subject to change each year).
- The program will be available to City of Nelson residents who own their own homes.
How do I participate?
Step 1 - Submit Application
Step 2 - Loan Approval Process
Step 3 - Receive Funds / Repayment of the loan begins on your Nelson Hydro bill.
UBC Study on E-Bike Incentive Programs
We are building a low-carbon future in Nelson and we need your help to get us there! To better understand the difference your e-bike purchase is having on travel behaviour and greenhouse gas emissions we have partnered with UBC’s REACT Lab.
Dr. Alex Bigazzi of the University of British Columbia is conducting an independent study on the effects of bicycle purchases on travel behaviour over time. Participation in the study is optional, and will not affect whether you receive a loan through this program. No personal information will be shared between UBC and the City of Nelson.
Data will be collected in three phases and participants are entered into draws for gift cards of up to $50.00 after each phase.
Upon loan approval, program participants will have the opportunity to take part in the study via their Loan Disbursement letter.
Curious to learn more about the study? Reach out to email@example.com
The City of Nelson encourages all E-Bike program participants to shop locally.
Here is a list of local bike vendors:
- The Sacred Ride - 213 Baker Street (Offering 15% off bike accessories)
- Gerick Cycle & Ski - 702 Baker Street (Offering 15% off bike accessories)
- Pedago Nelson - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boomtown Sports - 510 Hall Street
Safety & Motor Vehicle Act Requirements for E-Bikes
It is the responsibility of the Participant to educate themselves and abide by the provincial and municipal legal requirements of operating an e-Bike (motor-assisted cycles). This includes but is not limited to the following Motor Vehicle Act requirements for e-Bikes:
- No individual under the age of 16 will operate such a bike;
- Bikes cannot travel faster than 32 km/h;
- A safety helmet must be worn.
Additional information regarding bicycle safety and relevant rules and regulations is available here.
- Why is Nelson offering this program?
- What is the process for accessing a loan for the E-Bike Program?
- How long does approval take?
- Who is this program for?
- Why are renters not eligible for this program?
- Why is this program only for City residents and not for Nelson Hydro customers outside the limits?