Residential Parking Permit Areas
A residential parking permit is required on a number of residential streets in Nelson, especially near the downtown. Where signage indicates "Residential Parking" or similar, a permit is required at all times. Where signage indicates "2-Hour Parking", a parking permit is required to park for longer than two hours between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
As per section 31 of the Traffic Bylaw:
- The permit is exclusively for vehicles registered to that household.
- Each permit is only valid for the block designated on the permit, at or near where the resident in question resides.
- A parking permit may be shared between up to two vehicles.
- A residential parking permit is free of charge.
- Only one may be issued per dwelling unit and only if that dwelling unit has no off-street parking.
- Example: if a property has three units and two off-street parking spaces, one permit may be issued to one of the three units.
- Example: if a property has two units and no off-street parking, one permit may be issued to each of the two units.
- Example: if a property contains a single-family home with one or more off-street parking spaces, no street parking permit may be issued.
For more information or to apply for a residential parking permit, visit the main level of City Hall between 8.30 a.m. and 4.30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Proof of residency and a copy of each vehicle's ownership are required at the time of application. Both documents must contain your name and correct address. If neither shows your correct address, you must present either a formal lease agreement, utility bill, or purchase & sale agreement showing the address where the permit is being sought prior to the permit being issued.
Metered Parking Stalls
Nelson has approximately 750 parking stalls that are serviced by either a meter or a PayStation (kiosk). Payment is required at parking stalls from Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 25 cents for every 12 minutes ($1.25 per hour)
- Meters accept quarters, $1 coins, and $2 coins
- PayStations accept coins and credit cards
On-Street Commuter Parking (Cedar Street)
There are 21 all-day commuter parking meters on the 300 block of Cedar Street, between Front and Vernon, at a flat rate of $5 per day. Payment is either by inserting $5 in coin into the meters, or by using a pre-paid day pass. Day passes are available for purchase at City Hall in bulk.
To use a Cedar Street day parking pass, the driver writes the licence plate and current date on the pass once parked at one of the commuter parking stalls and then places it on the dashboard. The ability to fill in the date allows the driver to use the pass spontaneously.
Nelson has one parkade located in the downtown core on the 400 block of Vernon Street.
Motorists parking for parking longer than 2 hours are encouraged to utilize the parkade.day parking (8hrs) at a parking stall costs $10; whereas, the daily rate in tha parkade is $5.
- $1.50 per hour (Minimum)
- $5 per day (Until 6 p.m.)
- $4 per overnight (6 p.m. until 6 a.m.)
24 Hour Rate
- Minimum Stay - 3 days
- $8 per 24 hours
- 2nd to 4th Floors $80 per month (6 month rate is $425)
- 5th Floor $70 per month (6 month rate is $360)
- Roof Top 50 per month (6 month rate is $240)
- Discounts are available for 6 month rentals
Please call 250-354-8834 for more information.
For payment or search options, visit Pay Parking Tickets.
Appeals must be received in writing on a Bylaw Notice Dispute Form (PDF) within 14 calendar days of ticket issuance. If no appeal has been received after 14 calendar days, the ticket will be treated as not disputed and no reduction of fine amount will occur. For more information contact Bylaw Enforcement at 250-505-5666.
Fines that remain unpaid after 14 calendar days of ticket issuance may result in a summons issued to appear in court, or may be turned over to a third party for collection.